Bacon and Kale Frittata Recipe
Contributed by Tiffany Selvey
One of the most prolific and reliable crops in my garden, year round, is kale. I grow Vates Blue Curled Kale
and this stuff is hardy. Aside from hiding in my smoothies, this is my favorite way to enjoy Kale. This is my original recipe, inspired by what I had in the fridge. I like it. I like it a lot.
Songbirdtiff’s Bacon and Kale Frittata
4+ slices of bacon
1/2 cup onion (whatever is in season, I used Egyptian walking whites and greens)
A handful of kale, stemmed and chopped
8 eggs, combined
6 grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
Chevre cheese (or other soft cheese) optional
1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Cook bacon until crispy and remove from the pan.
3. To remaining grease (drain some grease if needed) add onion and kale.
4. Cook until the kale is bright green, just a few minutes
5. Pour eggs in the pan. Top with bacon, basil, and tomatoes.
6. Cook until no longer runny, lifting the edges to let the runny egg cook
7. Once firm but not completely cooked, top with cheese and cook in the oven 5-7 minutes, until egg is cooked through.
8. Cool for a few minutes, cut and serve.
Tiffany Selvey is a Master Gardener who writes about her passion for growing, cooking, and living naturally at www.Songbird-Gardens.com. When she’s not elbow deep in soil, she enjoys raising a very active son, laughing with her husband, and wrangling their five pets. Follow Tiffany’s gardening adventures on facebook and on twitter.